With our game printed for the first time, we’ve been able to expand playtesting and make some minor tweaks on the current iteration.
This is where a ton of adjustments need to be made to balance the game. Balancing how many high powered units vs low power units vs free actions vs health all via the point-based deck construction is tricky.
After our first play-tests, we made a minor adjustment that increased the costs of free-actions by 5 points, and standardized costs for damage dealt.
We quickly found out that any cards that are not locations that give a player additional supply (health) could spiral into an ability to have near infinite health.
We adjusted these cards to no longer add additional health.
Lastly, the our goal is for an average game to be about 20-25 minutes. We’ve seen average game times closer to 45 minutes. Some of that is because players are new, but some is due to games dragging on due to high health and low damage.
So we’ve increased the cost of reshuffling your deck from 5 supply to 10 supply.
We’ll continue to test version 1.75 with the new point values. The goal is to get 30-50 playthroughs before printing our next version 1.8. We need to make adjustments to bring the game down to 25 minutes, and make sure it’s fair and balanced.
With new people learning the game, we’ve also been able to identify confusion in the rule set (like having two types of damage: wounds and damage), and other minor clarifications and typos. This will be fixed in version 1.8.
Version 1.8 will also have our first iteration of a printed rulebook and packaging!